'Marri' and 'Chiltern Shuttle' double head on the 14th July 2002 © C.Omahoney

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Watford Miniature Railway  10 ¼ inch

The Watford Miniature Railway opened at Easter 1959 as a 300yd circuit in Cassiobury Park. The railway was set up by C.H. Reed, and initially was run by an LMS Compound and a petrol-powered 08 shunter. In 1979 Jeff Price became the owner and operator and enlarged the layout, including an extension to a new station. The station is adjacent to the paddling pool/playground area, and has two platforms and a turntable. Trains leave the station and cross a gated level crossing, before travelling around an ingenious layout adjacent to the River Gade and returning to the station. The total journey is 1,020yd. Marri was imported from Australia, where she was built, especially for use on this railway with Conway Castle and Nikki Louise both from the Suffolk Wildlife Park. Several “Meteor” locomotives have operated here before moving elsewhere. At peak times operation can be very slick; one train can be travelling around the railway while a second is loading in the station. As soon as the first train returns to the station the second train leaves, with the first train then being prepared for the next trip.

Address: Cassiobury Park, Watford, Hertfordshire
Telephone:
Operator: J. Price
Line Length: 600 yards Complex
First opened: 1959
Website: No Website

Locomotives

No
Name
Type
Builder
Built
4179
Chiltern Shuttle
0-6-0
R. Morse
1946
7
Marri
2-6-0
Willis Engineering
1993
 
Conway Castle
4w-4wDH
Fenlow
1972
 
Nikki Louise
0-6-0DH
R. Prime
1988

 

 

 

 

Opening Times: Weekends & School Holidays throughout the year, with trains from 12pm - 4:30pm.

Fares: £1.50 for all

WMR Page was last updated on the 11th March 2015 with fares updated.

© 2015 Copyright - Miniature Railway World, All Rights Reserved.

Please do not use any content from Miniature Railway World, without prior permission from the Miniature Railway World team.